Skip to main content

Formal Introduction


Dear Professor Blackstone
I would like to take this opportunity to formally introduce myself. My name is Serena Koay. I am currently pursing a degree in civil engineering at Singapore Institute of Technology. I graduated from Nanyang Polytechnic last year, with a diploma in engineering with business.
During my course of study, I realized that I am more inclined to systemic problem-solving methodologies taught in engineering as compared to the various finance and economics related theories taught in business. Thus, with this inclination as a form of motivation, I decided to pursue a degree in engineering.
Upon graduation, I was uncertain as to which field of engineering should I go into since I studied general engineering in polytechnic. However, during my six months internship at Singapore Technologies Engineering Ltd, the use computer-aided design software was heavily utilized as I had to design commercial buildings using the software.  Similarly, when a building is being constructed, I had to go down to site and ensure that the design of the building is the same. After internship, I found an interest in structure designing which led me to pursue a degree in civil engineering.
One of my strengths in communication is being confident during public speaking. One of such experiences was during my school award ceremony where I had to give a speech to the directors in my school.
Apart from strength, I do have an apparent communication weakness which is my writing skills. As compared to my peers, I often find myself able to express myself better through verbal communication compared to texts as I always find myself beating around the bush when it comes to writing.
Throughout the module, I hope to strengthen my grammar and vocabulary so as to enhance in my writing skill to be more clear and concise.
Best regards
Serena
Revised on 22 Jan 2018


Comment: Colin, Roland,Jean

Comments

  1. Dear Serena,

    Thank you for sharing this fine introduction letter. In the letter, you provide all the details required in the assignment. I really appreciate how you have tied your discussion of your educational and internship background to your interest in 'designing of structure.' You also present your strength and weakness well. In terms of the weakness, you discuss a fairly common one: preciseness in writing. We will definitely work on many aspects of writing this term, as you have no doubt noticed.

    Here are a couple minor problem areas also to take note of:

    1) plurality
    -- One of my strength >>>
    -- One of such experience >>>

    2) idiomatic expression
    -- beating around the brush >>> beating around the bush

    3) phrasing / word form
    -- ...this will benefit myself in my writing skill to be more succinctly. >>> ?

    I look forward to working with you this term.

    Best wishes,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Serena,
    I liked the way you introduced yourself in the first paragraph well. Stating with the current area of study currently and in poly enabled me to understand more of your background.

    I appreciate the effort you put in to express yourself and the flow of the paragraph to ultimately give you the reason to join civil engineering. The use of words is concise and easily understood.

    I do feel that you have good writing skills although no one is perfect. One of my weakness I get anxious when I present in class or a large crowd. I look forward to working with you soon!

    Your classmate,
    Glen

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Critical Reflection

The goal that I had set for this module was to improve my writing skills. Personally, I feel that I have achieved this goal as I have the chance to write a full technical report and the constantly updated blog posts for this module. Through the report and blog posts, I find myself being more critical of my grammar errors, sentence structure in the passage. Being critical, it allows me to be more careful in my writing skills.  I would like to use the skills that I have learned in this module into my daily life as it can constantly help me improved my ability in my writing. The main challenge for our project was the writing of full technical report due to the busy schedule of our group members. As the three of us are different project groups in other modules, it was very difficult to meet up and discuss the project.  This resulted that our group to have lack of communication. Thus, we decided to split the workload eventually and later compile everything together. This leads to inconsist

Interpersonal Conflict draft 2

Interpersonal conflict communication skills is a key factor that lead to a disagreement between each other. One situation happens in a shopping mall where it involves my friend and I. The communication breakdown was trying to persuade her to stop stealing things in the shopping mall as it will be a serious offense and probably led her to jail. One day, I went shopping with her, I realized she was stealing things in a department store, I told her to put it back or else we will get in deep trouble. She felt frustrated that I kept nagging at her for telling her to put back the stuff and then she shouted “shut up” at me in an angry and rude manner. After the quarrel, she was being extremely cold to me while we will walking to the bus stop. At the bus stop, she told me “let don’t be friends anymore since you do not like to take the risk with me. “ I was stunned that she told this to me and then she left off. After reading the conflict I had, what is the best solution to resolve this situa